Roosth & Genecov Derrick

The derrick, dedicated to Sam Roosth (1888-1949) and A.S. Genecov (1895-1971) by Roosth & Genecov Production Company, is located on the World’s Richest Acre in downtown Kilgore. It was restored on the original well site of the Roosth & Genecov Production Company’s Kilgore National Bank Well #1. The well, which was drilled through the bank floor, was completed on March 25, 1940, flowing 27 barrels of oil per hour. It was plugged on June 7, 1966.

Mr. Roosth was born in Koryein, Poland, and arrived in America at the age of 19. He married Celia Wengrow in 1908 and had seven sons. He moved to Tyler in 1910, operating Roosth Bakery until 1924 when he entered dry goods merchandising. In the early 1930s, a handshake partnership formed Roosth & Genecov Production Company.

A fierce Zionist, Mr. Roosth worked hard for the creation of the Nation of Israel, travelling throughout the country to raise money. He was a member of Congregation Ahavath Achim in Tyler.

Mr. Genecov was born in Luptz, Russia, and came to United States in 1904. He attended school in Waco and after serving in the Army during World War I, moved to Tyler in 1935. He married Hilda Jarett of Corsicana and had two children. In addition to being an oil producer, Mr. Genecov was also involved in ranching and was a real estate investor. He was president of Roosth & Genecov Production Company, served as vice president of the Tyler Chamber of Commerce, president of the Tyler Federated Jewish Welfare Fund, and was a director of Lone Star Steel Company. Mr. Genecov also served as president of the East Texas Fair Association, on the board of the Medical Center Hospital, a director at Tyler Bank and Trust, Owen Development Company and vice president of Peoples Life Insurance Company. In addition, he served as co-chairman of the East Texas Agricultural Council and devoted himself to the March of Dimes fight against polio.

He was honored by the State of Israel when he received the Tower of David Award in 1969. Mr. Genecov was a member of Congregation Ahavath Achim, Temple Beth El, the Rotary and Elks Clubs, as well as other organizations.

The derrick site was provided by Frank and Sue Brown. The derrick was provided by Jarvis-Mullinax.