The Dean Keener Crim Home
Being Kilgore’s oldest home, it was built two years after the International Railroad platted a townsite in 1874 on Buck Kilgore’s farm land.
S. G. Dean bought one acre just east of the tracks and north of the station in 1876 for $45 and erected a one story, tworoom house constructed of pine and oak lumber. The home featured a covered front porch.
In 1881, Dean transferred his improved acre to L. J. and Allie Keener for $300.
The Keeners added the two-story, four-bedroom west wing, with each bedroom containing a fireplace.
In 1902, Wiley Newton Crim and his wife, Eudora, bought the home. They added the east side screen porch and extended a roofed porch across the back. It enclosed the still working well that draws water up by a hand-operated pulley that includes a rope and bucket.
The oil boom put seven oil wells in the Crim’s yard.
The Crim family occupied the home until 1999. W. N. and Eudora’s two daughters, Mabel Crim and Alleyn Crim lived in the home. Mabel was a recognized gardener, while Alleyn loved to cook.
W. N. and Eudora Crim family descendants donated their home and furnishings to KHPF in 2000.